Are you an experienced Public Policy professional, with a genuine interest in technological innovations and platform economy? Do you want to be a part of building and scaling the international expansion in a truly global tech organization? If this sounds like you, then we’d love to chat!
Wolt is a Finnish technology company founded in 2014 with a mission to transform on-demand e-commerce. Wolt has since grown rapidly and become a global company, currently operating in 23 countries and 200+ cities across EMEA with 15M+ registered users - and this is only the beginning.
As the platform economy is changing the ways consumers connect with restaurants and retailers, we are seeing a huge opportunity to be the industry leader with the amazing teams we have built globally.
To achieve our next growth targets, we are now looking for a Senior Manager, Public Policy & Government Relations, Japan to join and lead our policy efforts in Japan. In this brand new role you will be responsible for all public policy work in Japan and for representing Wolt vis-a-vis Japanese policy makers, authorities, industry associations, and other stakeholders. You will be working with Public Policy & Government Relations colleagues in different regions, aligning with business leaders and coordinating cross-functional projects. The role is part of the Legal team and reports to the Vice-President of Global Public Policy & Government Relations. The role is based in Tokyo.
Your mission is to ensure that public policy supports our sustainable growth in Japan, and that we are a responsible and constructive partner to policy makers. You feel home at the intersection of law, politics, and business. We truly want you to be an expert but also someone who is curious and eager to learn and grow with us. You will take full ownership of our engagement with policy makers in Japan and elevate Wolt’s ability to participate in relevant societal and regulatory debates.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Participate in emerging policy debates and regulatory developments around issues such as platform work, e-commerce, platform regulation, competition policy, and sustainability
- Engage with Japanese policy makers at all levels and brief, prep, and advice Wolt leadership on all policy matters in Japan
- Monitor legislative and regulatory developments and assess their impact on our business
- Coordinate with other teams internally (in particular legal and comms)
- Develop engagement strategies, company positions, materials, and policy proposals
- Work with relevant external partner (agencies, trade associations, other platform operators, think thanks etc)
- Cover all legislative, policy, and enforcement initiatives impacting our business
- Proactively and independently assess and decide on any actions that help us to make sure our voice is heard in relevant processes
- Minimum 10-12 years of public policy experience in an agency, in-house, or government role
- Masters degree in law, public policy, political science or similar
- Solid experience in leading engagements in policy processes in Japan
- Ability to represent the company at the highest levels of decision making
- Brilliant mind with ability to think strategically and develop creative and constructive policy proposals
- Understand the business needs and self-start where your impact maximized with a minimal supervision
- Analytical mindset to effectively weigh risks and payoffs in a number of scenarios
- Political and Diet process knowledge and an existing policy network of key stakeholders is preferred
- Fluent in Japanese and English
- Willingness to travel
If you are excited about working in a high-growth environment, taking ownership, and being part of an extremely ambitious team, then click below to apply and get the conversation going!