Hey, you look like you might be our new Senior Python Backend Engineer
Helsinki, Finland · Remote
Are you interested in being part of building a service that is unique to the tastes of our over 14 million users? Wolt is looking for multiple backend engineers with Python skills to join our different engineering teams across the product development organization.
We have a strong Python community at Wolt: around 100 of our engineers are actively using Python and sharing knowledge related to its rich ecosystem. Python is not only the language of data but also the most widely used language in the web backend services of Wolt. For example, most of the consumer client-facing endpoints run Python under the hood.
Modern Python is our bread and butter. We did the 2 to 3 migration already four years ago. Nowadays, we strive to always use the latest Python version in our services, which allows us to benefit from the latest language features. If you are a Pythonista and would enjoy being surrounded by like-minded people, we have a lot to offer.
Some concrete examples of Python at Wolt:
- When you open the Wolt mobile app or navigate to the wolt.com front page, the request is served by a Flask backend which is juiced up with async gevent workers.
- We deployed the first FastAPI based service to production in January 2020. We are not afraid of being early adopters of fresh but promising technologies.
- We use Celery for most of the heavy lifting which happens in the background. We run millions of tasks every day.
- When you search for your favorite hamburger place in Wolt, the search results are obtained from Elasticsearch via a Python backend. Actually, we even have a dedicated team working on the search.
- We have developed a number of Wolt specific Python libraries (indexed in our private PyPI) which help us in building new services without copy-pasting code around.
If the above examples piqued your interest, also check out:
- Wolt Tech Talks Youtube channel has recordings from our Python meetups and
- the Python-related blog posts in our engineering blog.
Last but not least, these roles can be based in one of our tech hubs in Helsinki or Berlin, or you can work remotely anywhere in Finland, Sweden, Germany, Denmark, and Estonia now and in the future. Read more about our remote setup here.
Our humble expectations
You might be the one if you are an engineer with experience designing and building top-class software and APIs, enthusiasm towards working with Python is naturally essential. We mostly work with Python (Flask & FastAPI), MongoDB, PostgreSQL, and appreciate it if you understand what it takes to build and operate scalable software services in production. Our massive backend software is powered with Kubernetes in AWS so proficiency in these platforms or similar and cloud infrastructure is a huge plus.
Aside from technology, we expect you to be a product-oriented problem solver, a good communicator, willing to collaborate with people in- and outside of your own team, and keen to bring up issues in a constructive manner to the team and to Wolt at large. We work with high ownership in small teams where each team member works around the whole SW development life cycle. Each and every one of our product team members has a say in where we are going and what solutions we implement.
Join us for an exciting journey!
The compensation will be a negotiable combination of monthly pay and DoorDash RSUs. The latter makes it exceptionally easy to be excited about our company growing and doing well, as you'll own a piece of the pie.